Hargrave Military Academy is currently seeking a Custodian. The Custodian provides general cleaning and floor care service using a variety of specialized chemicals and equipment. This position is responsible for the appearance and cleanliness of the Academy’s facilities. Normal work schedule is Monday - Friday; however, days and hours may vary depending on special occasions on campus.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
This job description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign, reassign, or change duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
- Sweeping, dust/wet mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing, refinishing, and burnishing hard surface floors, shampooing and extracting carpet.
- Cleaning of furniture to include desks, filing cabinets, lockers, chairs, etc.
- Spot and project cleaning of walls, windows, light fixtures, vents, etc.
- Restroom cleaning including fixtures, supply dispensers, commodes, showers/tubs, etc.
- Trash collection and removal to dumpsters; cleaning of containers.
- Snow removal and dispensing of ice-melt chemicals.
- Furniture moving and set-ups for special events.
- Operate motorized cleaning equipment requiring manual dexterity when needed.
- Complies with established regulatory, safety, and risk management guidelines.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Work in a variety of environments, working from a schedule identifying specific areas and tasks they are to complete each shift.
-Willing to cover other areas in the event of a co-workers’ absence, or work additional hours or on weekends in needed to meet service requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
- Support the school and its leadership.
Education/Training and Experience Requirements:
H.S. Diploma, GED or Degree preferred.
Experience in institutional cleaning is desired, but is not required.
Possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
Requires ability to operate motorized cleaning equipment requiring manuals dexterity.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to maintain effective relations with supervisor and fellow employees.
Ability to follow and apply safety rules and regulations for job assignments and equipment used.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Drug test and background check are required.
Willing to be trained as required.
Good communication skills, both written and verbal are desired.
Dedication and commitment to Hargrave’s mission of development of the whole person – academically, athletically, and spiritually – mind, body, and soul.
Lifting: Up to 80 lbs. Lifting includes carrying, moving, pushing, pulling.
Standing: Requires standing for extended periods of time during shifts.
Walking: Requires extensive walking.
Climbing: Requires ability to walk up multiple flights of stairs at times. May also require walking on uneven outdoor terrain.
Temperatures: Most duties are performed indoors, but some outside work is required in all seasons.
**This position requires full range of body motion, including reaching, stooping, kneeling, climbing, and walking.